Wednesday, September 19, 2007

the study that started it all


back in 2004, i was practicing law in CA happily unaware of the wrecking ball having children would be to my body. unfortunately for me, and as is usually the case for women, i was taking my body for granted. my co-worker, friend, and co-author, Sarah and i had been working out 5 nights a week after work and eating sensibly. the results were minimal. then i read* that the Amish are among the healthiest Americans while still eating meat, eggs, bread, potatoes, and even PIES. i wanted to know how, how do the Amish stay so fit? the answer, walking. so Sarah and i strapped on pedometers and took to the streets. soon, we realized that with our current workout schedule, we were averaging as many as 5,000 - 7,000 steps per day - just like the Amish. and, our BMI's were in the healthy weight, just like the Amish. and our weights were in the healthy range, just like the Amish. so, why were the Amish so fit and i was so fat? this was the question i asked myself over and over. until, i realized i was asking the wrong question. the real question was, "why do i think i am so fat, when i am totally healthy - just like the Amish?"


it occurred to me, i man not like the way i look in a bathing suit, but you don't see too many Amish flaunting it on the cover of SI either right? and if i did see someone else of my proportion in a bathing suit i was far less critical of them than i was of myself.


Happy Medium Moral: if you're trying your best to eat right and exercise then you have to accept the way you look and feel good about it!


*"Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise", David D. Bassett, Jr. and associates at University of Tennessee.

2 comments:

Alison Wills said...

Britty,
I can already tell that this is going to be one of my favorite blogs to read! I LOVE your views and couldn't agree with you more on body issues and the such!
I found you through a long list of snooping around on others' blogs (Through Stephanie (Parker), to the Harris Family, to Autumn and Barrett, to your original Blog) I'm a fellow Villa Park and went to school with the above as well as your husband, although I didn't know him very well, but I think he knows my brother Jeff Lewis....(random bits of how I found you in a hopefully not so stalkerish way) : )
Anywho, love the new blog and can't wait to read more as it's posted! I'm currently on the long road of finding my 'perfect' body, and a long road it is!!

Joanna said...

I think I read that article, Brittain. It was verrrrry interesting. You got some wonderful insight from it. I liked reading that!